Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Social Research

With already being a user, I decided to use Twitter and Facebook. I like these two sites because they allow me to interact socially with people all the time. This can be from family, friends to old classmates. Although these are social networks, people also use them as a marketing tool. While conducting research for my topic, I was able to find both informative and opinionated information. There were several articles that were based on iPhone production, the Apple company and the marketing and management of the company. It's Twitter so it mostly contains opinionated and personal thoughts. With that being said, most information was about the craze and the frenzy about new iPhone releases and upgrades. People "tweeted" about their personal purchases, the features and their excitement about being new iPhone customers. This is all pertaining to marketing. Similar to Twitter, I found almost the exact kind of articles and posts on Facebook. I wanted to experiment on all of the other provided tools instead of just focusing on one. StumbleUpon and Delicious gave me a hard time as they left me asking "what the heck is this?" However, Reddit was the best. It allowed me to break down iPhone into categories that will best fit my research project. Tech news to programming were all available using this site. Newsvine was also helpful because it let me browse articles on just about anything related to an iPhone.

1 comment:

  1. Mike, good discussion of these tools. You've identified the key fact that they don't correspond to any particular activity by themselves. That is, the tools don't themselves define how they are used, it's up to us (both individually and as a society) to choose how we want to use them. This can be for purely personal entertainment, marketing, staying in touch, and even research. Of course, you need to critically evaluate everything you find because on average there is of course more opinion than fact. But we have the key skills to do this. That's great you were able to find some helpful information on all of these different networks!

    ReplyDelete